Saturday, September 15, 2012

it's a (neapolitan) banner day!

it's not often i make a project entirely from one paper line, but the dear lizzy "neapolitan" 6x6 paper pad has been burning a hole in my creative pocket for a couple of weeks now; and there is no denying that using a pre-coordinated set of patterns really speeds up the process of making something where you want maximum variety while still having one cohesive design. like, say... a name banner for a certain adorable one year old?! (please forgive the terrible photo, there is no where in my home that has BOTH five foot of empty, plain wall space AND great lighting!)

(vintage: seam binding; patterned paper: american crafts; wooden alphas: pink paislee; lg butterfly die: quickutz; butterfly punches: martha stewart; border punch: blue hills studio; pearls: kaiser; flowers and brads: making memories; ink: colorbox; white paint pen: sharpie; adhesives: staples brand glue tape runner, glue dots, hot glue, sewing machine)

the very sweet and appealing miss charli is the first grandchild of our dear friends kim and dave. to me it seems like only fifteen minutes ago since her daddy was this age, but this afternoon we celebrated her first birthday as well as her auntie's engagement, so clearly i am behind the times. this is what happens when you are old enough to be a "great aunt" i guess, lol!  :) :) :)


here are some closeups in which you can see the details of the banner a bit better.  



due to time constraints i went with the one set of papers, one type of embellishment (butterflies), one kind of flower; and i tied everything together with white to make it look fresh and young and cute!


i am only just BARELY squeaking in under the wire at a fun new challenge site devised by my lovely SOS colleague miss carla; this one is called anything but a card... care to guess what kind of projects they are looking for over there?!


this fortnight the theme was "anything goes" and the deadline is midnight, so you'll really have to hustle, but the new one will begin in the morning, and then you'll have two whole weeks to plot and plane!

i'm also jumping in on city crafter's absolutely awesome polka dot palooza challenge this week, though i confess this is actually NOT the project i had in mind for that, and i'm still hoping to sneak in another before monday night, fingers crossed!

happy weekend, darlings!
♥♥♥

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your project with everyone at ABAC! First let me say I LOVE your blog name! How smart of you to share a flag banner, colors inspired by the ABAC logo. I am inspired to make a flag banner full of all sorts of fun embellies! Look forward to seeing more of your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making banners, but they take me forever... your strategy makes sense to me and I'll have to try that next time I want to put one together.
    Your butterflies are fabulous... LOVE this, Lauren!!! So very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohh so cute! I LOVE this. Then again, I haven't seen ANYTHING of yours I didn't love. Thanks for the shout out and playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it would be stupendous and it is!! Your niece is gonna love it! many thanks for playing at CCCB

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just one gorgeous set of bunting (as we Brits call it!!)! I love the colours, the elements that you've used and that it really did have an end use. My daughter would have loved this when she was little (probably still would even at 20!!).
    My comment seems late because of the time zone difference!
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us ABAC's first challenge and I do hope you'll join in next time!
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous...just gorgeous...hope that little banned coordinates with her bedroom or playroom cuz they will never be getting rid of it! fabulous paper choice for it too! I see you squeaked in at ABAC...awesome! cuz you saved the best for last!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is soooooooooooooooo pretty! Using the one line turned out very well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a happy banner - I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is GORGEOUS, Lauren! What a pretty banner for baby's nursery:) Big hugs and hope you are doing well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing banner. I just love all the wonderful details you have added. Pretty, Pretty....

    So happy you played along with us over at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren - This is GORGEOUS! OMG! Wish i had a little girl again so I could totally CASE this! BRAVO!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super fun project, Lauren. I love all those cute stuff and layers! Looks wonderful with those pretty papers!
    Thanks for sharing it with us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful banner Lauren!!! I love those papers, have them and need to use them lol!!! Thanks so much for sharing your lovely banner this week at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  14. **sigh**. Seriously love this...one of my all time fav collections!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful and such a fun project! Cheers, Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful! The papers are so pretty, and the flowers and butterflies are perfect embellishments for a one year old's party! Thanks so much for joining us at ABAC with your lovely creation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bow down to the banner queen. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~