Tuesday, January 2, 2018

grungy + happy

this week's challenge at shopping our stash is called, "watercolor" so you'll probably already have guessed that we'd like to see a bit of watercoloring on your project. btw, we count watercolor techniques that use distress inks, or water-based markers in this category too; then of course there are actual watercolor paints, and my favorite: colorburst pigment powders!


i love to use my colorbursts for traditional watercolor painting, as well as trying out the cool CB-specific "spritz and sprinkle" techniques that ken oliver shows off on facebook and youtube. something you'll discover pretty quickly no matter what type of watercolor you use, is that there is a serious "serendipity factor" involved. sometimes this means you get unexpectedly AMAZING results! sometimes... not so much, lol. the good news is that whatever the circumstance or quality of leftovers you wind up with, you'll be in great shape to make your own colorful custom diecut elements for cards!


in this case, i've used my very first set of ancient provocraft alphabet dies on some leftover blues, greens and purples to make a fab sentiment. after i cut and arranged my letters, i used a few older pattern stamps from hero arts, stampin' up and cherry arte to grunge them up a bit. i mounted the letters on foam tape over a torn paper collage, stitched the panel to a leftover scrap of gelli print background, then made the whole thing into a "tall card" that will fit perfectly into a #10 envelope. i added some star stickers from the late, great, fancy pants designs and called it good to go!  


and now i hope you'll head on over to SOS and see what amazing creations my DT darlings have cooked up to inspire you! ♥

5 comments:

  1. Lauren, I love the look of the Colorburst pigment powder but I haven't tried this product yet. I agree that, no matter what you do, the end result is most times, amazing like you demonstrated in your colorful and beautiful card.
    One of my most challenging things about water colors is doing a color wash but I suspect this technique might be quite easy using this powders so, I'm venturing into getting a small set just to try them out.
    Awesome job, teammate.
    XO
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those colourburst pigment powders but they never ever turn out like yours. I get big clumps of dark colour on my paper and it just ruins the look. Gorgeous card, love the "long" look. I also have ancient provocraft alphas. Do you use watercolour paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been waiting to see this post-- I absolutely love the bold colors against the neutral vintage background. What an AWESOME die set, too! Excellence way they show off the cool colorburst background with the nice thick letters! Thanks for the inspirational start for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren the colors are magnificent on the card and what a great card for anyone...but especially men, boys and teen boys the hardest of all to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW
    Now THAT is an awesome birthday card!!!
    Love love love love love those letters!!

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~